Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A good reminder...

A few years ago, my home group read through a booklet by Dr. James Montgomery Boice entitled "Why and How to Study the Bible". As I was leaving the house this morning, that booklet popped into my mind and I opened it up once again as a refresher. I found a couple of loose sheets of paper on which I had jotted down many of the lessons that I found beneficial. Here are some of those quotes:

Page 11: "we err.. whenever we allow bible study to become academic and, as a result, do not allow ourselves to be drawn closer to God because of it"

Page 21: "in most forms of the modern debate the Scriptures... are handled as if they are man's word about God, rather than God's word about man."

Page 23: "if the parts of the book {the Bible} seem to be in opposition or in contradiction to each other, then our interpretation of one or both of these parts is in error."

Page 25: {regarding contradictions:} "the difficulties reveal the weakness of our own understanding rather than the flaws in God's revelation"

Page 31: "God hides the deep things of His Word from any who are unwilling to obey Him. We must not assume that we will be able to fully understand any passage of Scripture unless we are willing to be changed by it."

Page 34: "The Bible must be the treasure most valued and attended to in the church's life."

Page 42: {on guidance:} "it doesn't matter what we do as long as we are obeying what God teaches about living a Godly life"