What does "above reproach" mean?
The word "reproach" is not one that crosses my lips on a regular basis... in fact, it really only comes to mind when I hear a lesson on the qualifications of church leadership.
Know what "reproach" means? It is "an expression of rebuke or disapproval" or "a cause or occasion of blame, discredit, or disgrace." The man who seeks to be "elder qualified" must be "above reproach" - what does that look like?
The first thought is "what if I don't aspire to church leadership?" My answer: as a Christian man, you should STILL aspire to the qualities that define those who are called to lead. If I am to be "above reproach", then my life should be characterized by virtue that is recognizable by my wife, my kids, my parents, my friends, the church, my employer, neighbors, and government. Whew, a big list... I was talking to a friend about this today and said that the testimony of my life should be consistent to the point that you could pull someone from each of those categories into a room and their comments should be in alignment with one another in regards to my character.
Ouch. My life is more along the categories of "Brian the dad, Brian the husband, Brian the church attendee, Brian the co-worker, etc." I have a different persona, a different front that I so easily slip on/off depending on who I am with, or who I feel that I need to impress. It is sad to say, but true.
None of this is to say that a person is "without sin". But every Christian man's life and character should be characterized by a consistency of virtue across all relationships. Our virtue should show growth towards obedience.
Lots of prayer, practice and patience are needed.
Know what "reproach" means? It is "an expression of rebuke or disapproval" or "a cause or occasion of blame, discredit, or disgrace." The man who seeks to be "elder qualified" must be "above reproach" - what does that look like?
The first thought is "what if I don't aspire to church leadership?" My answer: as a Christian man, you should STILL aspire to the qualities that define those who are called to lead. If I am to be "above reproach", then my life should be characterized by virtue that is recognizable by my wife, my kids, my parents, my friends, the church, my employer, neighbors, and government. Whew, a big list... I was talking to a friend about this today and said that the testimony of my life should be consistent to the point that you could pull someone from each of those categories into a room and their comments should be in alignment with one another in regards to my character.
Ouch. My life is more along the categories of "Brian the dad, Brian the husband, Brian the church attendee, Brian the co-worker, etc." I have a different persona, a different front that I so easily slip on/off depending on who I am with, or who I feel that I need to impress. It is sad to say, but true.
None of this is to say that a person is "without sin". But every Christian man's life and character should be characterized by a consistency of virtue across all relationships. Our virtue should show growth towards obedience.
Lots of prayer, practice and patience are needed.
<< Home