Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lost

I am only 34 years old, but can see the "midlife" quickly approaching... wondering if/when I will face a "midlife crisis"...

I have considered this seriously enough to pick up Paul Tripp's book entitled "Lost in the Middle". I am about 50 pages (52 at the time of this writing), and have really enjoyed the intro and first chapter. Here are a couple of my favorite quotes/thoughts thus far:

"Scripture never allows us to believe in a neutral, undirected or unmotivated humanity. It requires us to admit that behind everything we do or say, we are pursuing something - some hope or dream or thing that we refuse to live without. These are things we value so much that we will willingly sacrifice other good things to get them. We will debase our humanity in order to deify the creation. The very things we seek to possess begin to possess us. We live for shadow glories and forget the only Glory that is worth living for." [pg 19]

"There is no voice more influential in your life than your own, because no one talks to you more than you do. You've had regular conversations with yourself today, most of the time without even being aware of it... Everything we do is somehow shaped by who we think we are and what we think we have been called to do." [pg 37]

I could type more, but would encourage you to invest a few bucks and read the book. Whether you are nearing mid-life or near the end of mid-life, this book looks to be a great read.

Labels: , , ,