Thursday, April 2, 2009

Finished "The Prodigal God" tonight

I have been a poor reader of books... I read tons of articles, blogs... Facebook and Twitter status updates too - but rarely do I read a book cover-to-cover.

Pastor Luke Simmons of Second Mile Church, encouraged everyone to "go out and buy this book TODAY after you get home." So I did just that, thinking it would be good for me... and he said he was able to read it in a couple of days...

It was an OUTSTANDING book. I highly encourage the "common community of sinners" (ie all of us) to pick it up!

Some of my favorite phrases from the book are:

  • "It is impossible to forgive someone if you feel superior to him or her."
  • "the fundamental cause of evil in the world - the radical self-centeredness of the human heart"
  • John Newton: "Our pleasure and our duty, though opposite before, since we have seen His beauty are joined to part no more"
Keller contrasts Religion and the Gospel:
  • Religion: "I obey - therefore I am accepted by God"
  • Gospel: "I am accepted by God through the work of Jesus Christ - therefore I obey"

Labels: , , , ,